Tuesday, November 3, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Diary of a Provincial Lady


Happy Tuesday, and welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros! This weekly event is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

I've started the satire, Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield (1930), which is a "fictional journal of a middle-class wife and mother with literary aspirations, who is muddling through her relentlessly domestic existence with wit and more than a little ruefulness." The book has been compared to Jane Austen, Barbara Pym, Angela Thirkell and even Erma Bombeck.

Here is the opening:

"November 7th.--Plant the indoor bulbs. Just as I am in the middle of them, Lady Boxe calls. I say, untruthfully, how nice to see her, and beg her to sit down while I just finish the bulbs. Lady B. makes determined attempt to sit down in armchair where I have already placed two bulb-bowls and the bag of charcoal, is headed off just in time, and takes the sofa.

Do I know, she asks, how very late it is for indoor bulbs? September, really, or even October is the time. Do I know that the only really reliable firm for hyacinths is Somebody of Haarlem? Cannot catch the name of the firm, which is Dutch, but reply Yes, I do know, but think it my duty to buy Empire products. Feel at the time, and still think, that this is an excellent reply. Unfortunately Vicky comes into the drawing-room later and says: "O Mummie, are those the bulbs we got at Woolworths?"

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


10 comments:

  1. The writing style matches the title. :-) It sounds like it will be an interesting book. I enjoy satire now and then although I admit I don't always get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already had this one on my radar and yes, I would like to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the writing, so I would definitely read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds funny ... but maybe best taken in small doses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delightful! I already like the point-of-view character.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds delightful! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Love the cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that made me laugh out loud! Woolworths indeed! And the comparison to Erma Bombeck is great. I haven't though about Erma for years. My mother (who was not a big reader at all) loved her books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I have one of her books on the shelf and have not gotten to it yet. Looking forward to a good fun read.

    ReplyDelete