Tuesday, November 17, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Square


Happy Tuesday! I hope that your week is going well so far. Today I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

I've been enjoying Nonfiction November, but I'm missing fiction and looking for a little respite. The Square by Rosie Millard (2015) looks like it might be just the thing. 

Of The Square, Goodreads promises "a comic romp featuring the bored, overprivileged and vain London bourgeoisie. Full of controversy, gossip, affairs and drama . . ."

The opening:

"Chapter One Jane

Roberta climbs the steps and rings the door bell. In a disinterested way, she wonders who might answer. Patrick, the dishevelled husband? Jane, the trim, pressurised wife? It certainly will not be 'Boy' George. He will be where he always is. Upstairs, hiding in his room. Trying to squeeze another thirty seconds before being called down for his weekly ordeal."

The opening was taken from a proof copy received from Netgalley.

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

20 comments:

  1. The opening doesn't really grab me, but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the occasional book about the overprivileged and vain bourgeoisie. So bring it on! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine:
    “TRUTH BE TOLD”

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun one. I hope it is a good break from your nonfiction reading this month! My next book will likely be a nonfiction book--one about Christmas, as a matter of fact. I seem to be only able to read Holiday themed books at the moment. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting together some holiday themed novels for my December reading and am looking forward getting started with those!

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I hear you on needing some fiction mixed into Nonfiction Nov! I just switched back to fiction after 4 pretty heavy nonfictions in a row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! Hope you are enjoying your fiction!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi, Donna. The weekly ordeal turns out to be music lessons. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I like the opening far more than I expected to - I do hope you are enjoying this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cleo! Yes, I am enjoying the novel! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  7. The cover is very fun and I'm curious for more - I'd read on Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cover, too, Diane. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I need to find a copy of this one...sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look promising, Catherine. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I would read a bit more and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tone sounds like I'd enjoy it. Hope it's good. Thanks for visiting my blog. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete