Friday, November 6, 2015

Nonfiction November: My Year in Nonfiction


If you'd asked me awhile ago how many nonfiction books I've read this past year, I could have mentioned a few. But I was surprised to see that I'd read ten books. 

Biography/Memoir

Carrington: A Life by Gretchen Holbrook Herzina

Hons and Rebels by Jessica Mitford

The Only Woman in the Room by Rita Lakin (review coming soon)

Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford

History/Social History

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Mrs. Woolf and the Servants by Alison Light

My First Time in Hollywood by Cari Beauchamp

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty

Letters, Etc.

The Bookshop at 10 Curzon Street: Letters between Nancy Mitford and Heywood Hill 1952-1973 by Nancy Mitford and Heywood Hill

Charleston Bulletin Supplements by Virginia Woolf and Quentin Bell (review coming soon)

What is the book you've recommended most?


What is/are your favorite nonfiction read(s) of the year?


What is the topic or type of fiction that you haven't read enough of yet?

I don't really think about categories when I read nonfiction. It has more to do with seeing a book that is about something or someone that looks interesting. That's how I've approached my reading choices for this month as well.

What are you hoping to get out of Nonfiction November?

I'm looking forward to reading some books that I've set aside just for Nonfiction November. Also, I'm excited about concentrating on nonfiction and seeing what everyone else is reading. I'll no doubt be adding even more titles to my TBR pile!

3 comments:

  1. Must read Boys in the Boat. It's been sitting there on my shelf since last year's Nonfiction November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys in the Boat was my most recommended nonfiction as well! So good...and I'm reading one about swimming that has a similar feel now (The Three-Year Swim Club).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Boys in the Boat, too. The audio version was excellent! Savage Beauty has been waiting on my shelf for far too long...

    ReplyDelete