Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday Salutations


Hello and welcome to Sunday Salutations!

I hope that your week has gone well. The photos above are from an October visit to an orchard. I love fall and am looking forward to Thanksgiving. My family is a bit scattered this year, but my mother arrived this week for a visit, which signals the beginning of the holiday season. We've been having fun this weekend, and the weather hasn't been too cold to get out and about.

On the Blog . . .

Here are the posts from this past week:

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Square by Rosie Millard

Remarks on Recent Reads: The Procrastinator's Edition

Nonfiction November: The Only Woman in the Room by Rita Lakin

The Friday zen painting was Luxembourg Gardens by William James Glackens (1906).

Also, there has been a small change to my social media buttons. Gone is the link to my Facebook page which I really didn't have time to maintain. Instead, there's a link to my Instagram page. I'm having a lot of fun with Instagram lately.

Reading Plans . . .

Yesterday, I finished Edith Wharton's A Motor-Flight Through France, and I'll have a review soon for this book as well as Charleston Bulletin Supplements by Virginia Woolf and Quentin Bell, both for Nonfiction November. I'm continuing on with my reading plans with Waugh in Abyssinia by Evelyn Waugh.

Around the Blogosphere . . .

Here are some blog posts from this past week which caught my eye:

At I Prefer Reading, Lyn takes a look at some of Charlotte Bronte's poetry.

Over at Bibliophile by the Sea, Diane has a review of a book that I've been curious about, Wildflower by Drew Barrymore.

At The Emerald City Book Review, Lory talks about some interesting fall releases.

I look to JoAnn at Lakeside Musing as the expert on audiobooks, and this week, she recommended some of her favorites in nonfiction.

I've had the Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury Group on my mind and have noticed several interesting blog posts around the web:

If I could zap myself to London next Thursday night, I'd take a walk with Mrs. Dalloway in this post from Blogging Woolf.

There's a most excellent bookish conversation in the form of a podcast over at Stuck in a Book in which Rachel and Simon discuss lots of books, including Virginia Woolf's fiction and nonfiction in "Tea or Books? #7: Persephone vs. Virago & To The Lighthouse vs. A Room of One’s Own." This had me adding more titles to my TBR list!

I also liked this fascinating interview over at Miranda's Notebook with Vanessa Bell's granddaughter, London designer Cressida Bell. Great photos, too! I really enjoyed this inside look at Bell's work.

How has your week gone in reading? 

I wish you a wonderful week and a Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. I never bothered to make a Facebook page for my blog, but am having a lot of fun with instagram, too. The only problem is it's hard to come up with interesting bookish photos when my current books are on the kindle... as they have been lately.

    Our house is filling up for Thanksgiving this week - it's my favorite time of year. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.... and thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice weekly wrap up Monica. Thanks for the shout-out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the mention, Monica! I was so excited to do that interview, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving as well and my pumpkin pie baking on Wednesday :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures of the visit with Cressida Bell were gorgeous -- prints, fabrics, AND cakes. Wow!

    ReplyDelete