Tuesday, December 1, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Black Ship by Carola Dunn


Happy Tuesday and Happy December 1! Today, I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

My reading plans for December have to do with some mysteries and some light reading. I came across a Daisy Dalrymple mystery, Black Ship by Carola Dunn, at a book sale recently, and I love the cover. 

The opening:

"A last teeth-ratting sneeze escaped Daisy as she stepped out to the front porch. The tall, spare solicitor, locking the door behind them, gave her a worried look. That is, she thought she detected anxiety, though the layer of dust on his pince-nez obscured his expression."

From Amazon:

"In September 1925, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher, her husband Alec Fletcher (a Scotland Yard detective) and their new twin infant children inherit and move into a new larger house on the outskirts of London proper, in a stage of slight disrepair. Set in a small circle of houses and a communal garden, it seems a near idyllic setting. That is until a dead body turns up half-hidden in the communal garden, rumors of bootlegger, American gangsters, and an international liquor smuggling operation via black ships turns everything upside down. And it's up to Daisy--well, Alec with some help from Daisy--to find out who the dead man is, why he was murdered, and who did him in!"

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

13 comments:

  1. I love the cover too, and it sounds like a fun mystery!
    My Intro is from a light mystery as well: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The intro didn't really grab me but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is a gorgeous cover! And I love the sound of the story, too. I must find these books!

    Here's mine: “THE GUEST ROOM”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that cover too! This sounds like such fun! I hadn't heard of this one, but will definitely have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added this series to my wish list yesterday! When I asked for cozy recommendations in my update post last weekend, a couple of friends suggested this one. Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would need to read a little bit more before I made up my mind

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a delightful mystery. I love the 1925 setting and would definitely keep reading. That's one more book for my TBR list!
    My Tuesday post features the Rawhide ‘n Roses anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with the cover and the intro makes me want more as well. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover alone would keep me reading. Hope it's as fun as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to choose lighter reads during this time too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to love Daisy Dalrymple.

    ReplyDelete