Tuesday, December 22, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: High Rising by Angela Thirkell


Hello and welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

I've been away from my blog for awhile, trying to get over a sinus infection. The hardest part has been wanting to read but not being able to concentrate. I'm feeling much better and looking forward to getting back to reading.

This month I've read a couple of books on my list with a Christmas theme--a children's book, I Saw Three Ships by Elizabeth Goudge, and a serious novel, The Very Dead of Winter by Mary Hocking. Next on my list is High Rising by Angela Thirkell (1933). I've read the first chapter and can tell that High Rising is going to be fun. Thirkell's writing reminds me a bit of Barbara Pym but with the wit of Nancy Mitford.

From the back cover:

"Successful novelist Laura Morland and her boisterous son Tony set off to spend Christmas at her country home in the sleepy surrounds of High Rising. But Laura's wealthy friend and neighbour George Knox has taken on a scheming secretary whose designs on marriage to her employer threaten the delicate social fabric of the village. Can clever, practical Laura rescue George from Miss Grey's clutches and, what's more, help his daughter Miss Sibyl Knox to secure her longed-for engagement?"

The opening:

"I.

The Prizegiving

The headmaster's wife twisted herself round in her chair to talk to Mrs. Morland, who was sitting in the row just behind her.

"I can't make out,' she said reflectively, 'why all the big boys seem to be at the bottom of preparatory schools and the small ones at the top. All those lower boys who got prizes were quite large, average children, but when we get to the upper forms they all look about seven, and undersized at that. Look at the head of the Remove for instance--he is just coming up the platform steps now.'"

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

I hope that you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


7 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like it is my type of book, but I hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas! Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are feeling better. I have trouble concentrating on books when I am sick too. All that free time to read and I'm too miserable. :-( High Rising looks like something I might like. I like the opening you shared. I have never heard of Angela Thirkell before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm definitely curious! Thanks for sharing...I hope you are feeling better now. Sinus infections are the worst!

    Here's mine: “NOVEMBER 9”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad u are better - me and my hub have awful colds as well. I love the cover of this book, but not sure by the intro - I'd read more before deciding. Have a nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting for a copy of this one from my library. It's still on order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Thirkell novel sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read it; now I wish it was this one. :) Hope you're feeling better. And have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are feeling better quickly. Enjoy the book

    ReplyDelete