Tuesday, December 29, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Mystery in White


Hello, and welcome to First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share the opening of a book they're reading or planning to read soon.

I've been reading selections that have a holiday theme. Next on my list is Mystery in White by J. Jefferson Farjeon (originally published in 1937). I'm really enjoying the books that are part of the British Library Crime Classics series.

From the back cover:

"On Christmas Eve, heavy snowfall brings a train to a halt near the village of Hemmersby. Several passengers take shelter in a deserted country house where the fire has been lit and the table laid for tea--but no one is at home. 

Trapped together for Christmas, the passengers are seeking to unravel the secrets of the empty house when a murderer strikes in their midst."

The opening:

"The Great Snow began on the evening of December 19th. Shoppers smiled as they hurried home, speculating on the chances of a White Christmas. Their hopes were dampened when they turned on their wireless to learn from the smooth impersonal voice of the B.B.C. announcer that an anti-cyclone was callously wending its way from the North-West of Ireland; and on the 20th the warmth arrived, turning the snow to drizzle and the thin white crust to muddy brown."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

All the best for a Happy New Year!



9 comments:

  1. I would definitely keep reading. This sounds like a perfect Christmas read. I wish I had more mysteries on my list of Christmas-themed reads this year. I never did get to the one I did have on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crime story day today - ha - everyone seems to be reading crime! I've fallen out of love with mysteries lately, so I don't think this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks lovely. Truly. Perfect for Christmas and maybe even not at Christmas. I love the 'locked room' type books and this seems like that sort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover and intro. I would definitely read more.

    Wishing you a Happy New Year Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh,this one sounds intense! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would keep reading. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good. My kind of book...I'd keep reading. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'd keep going. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the book covers in this series. I've got a few in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete