Tuesday, January 5, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers


Happy Tuesday and Happy New Year! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, in which bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or about to read.

I've never read anything by Dorothy Sayers, so I was excited to find this Lord Peter Wimsey mystery at a book sale last year. And the story begins on the afternoon of New Year's Eve.

From Amazon:

"The nine tellerstrokes from the belfry of an ancient country church toll out the death of an unknown man and call the famous Lord Peter Wimsey to investigate the good and evil that lurks in every person. Steeped in the atmosphere of a quiet parish in the strange, flat fen country of East Anglia, this is a tale of suspense, character and mood by an author critics and readers rate as one of the great masters of the mystery novel."

The opening:

"'That's torn it!' said Lord Peter Wimsey.

The car lay, helpless and ridiculous, her nose deep in the ditch, her back wheels cocked absurdly up on the bank, as though she were doing her best to bolt to earth and were scraping herself a burrow beneath the drifted snow. Peering through a flurry of driving flakes, Wimsey saw how the accident had come about. The narrow, hump-backed bridge, blind as an eyeless beggar, spanned the dark drain at right angles, dropping plump down upon the narrow road that crested the dyke. Coming a trifle too fast across the bridge, blinded by the bitter easterly snowstorm, he had overshot the road and plunged down the side of the dyke into the deep ditch beyond, where the black spikes of a thorn hedge stood bleak and unwelcoming in the glare of the headlights."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

12 comments:

  1. I have never read this author, either, but I like the narrator's voice...the descriptions of the car and the bridge almost imbue them with feelings and characteristics. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “FLYING SHOES”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Peter Wimsey! Enjoy your introduction to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a book by Sayers years ago and enjoyed it. It was the first in the Lord Peter Wimsey series, I believe. I wouldn't mind reading something else by her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure this one's for me, but hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord Wimsey sounds like a fascinating character. I like the description in the opening -- I can see him standing on the side of the road, glaring at his car.
    My Tuesday post features JEWEL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lord Peter. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I've never read a Sayers book either. I keep meaning to. One day. I liked the teaser here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of the author but, haven't read anything. From the intro I think I might struggle with this one for some reason. I do like that it starts out on New Years Eve...how season appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a co-worker that would say, "That tears it". Enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this author yet, but it sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad to say I haven't read Sayers. She's at the top of my list of authors to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am obviously so late to this - but this is one of my favorite books of all time. It is so brilliantly written - not just the mystery but LPW as well as Bunter and the Vicar and his wife etc. this is largely considered to be in the top 10 mysteries of all time. So very British so VERY good.

    ReplyDelete