Tuesday, January 12, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea in which bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

I'm returning to an author that I love, Elizabeth Taylor, the British novelist, not to be confused with the actress, although I've read that she loved having the same name as the actress. At a book sale last year, I was excited to find several of Taylor's novels. One of them was Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (originally published in 1971).

From Goodreads:

"On a rainy Sunday in January, the recently widowed Mrs. Palfrey arrives at the Claremont Hotel where she will spend her remaining days. Her fellow residents are magnificently eccentric and endlessly curious, living off crumbs of affection and snippets of gossip. Together, upper lips stiffened, they fight off their twin enemies--boredom and the Grim Reaper. Then one day Mrs. Palfrey strikes up an unexpected friendship with Ludo, a handsome young writer, and learns that even the old can fall in love." 

The opening:

"Mrs. Palfrey first came to the Claremont Hotel on a Sunday afternoon in January. Rain had closed in over London, and her taxi sloshed along almost deserted Cromwell Road, past one cavernous porch after another, the driver going slowly and poking his head out into the wet for the hotel was not known to him. This discovery, that he did not know, had a little disconcerted Mrs. Palfrey, for she did not know it either, and began to wonder what she was coming to. She tried to banish terror from her heart. She was alarmed at the threat of her own depression."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

8 comments:

  1. The opener sets up the feeling that something bad is going to happen but the summary indicates otherwise. I might read at least a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I might be a bit on the fence about this one. I do love the cover though. Hope you enjoy it, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read anything by Elizabeth Taylor, although she's an author I have been wanting to try. I hope you are enjoying this one. The intro has me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the blurb...and while the opener sounds ominous, I suspect that hope is somewhere near by. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “MISSING PIECES”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like the sound of this one. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I do like the sound of this one and I've heard such good things about this author although I haven't read any of her books - at least her name is very easy to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good opening to a terrific read.

    Thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete