Tuesday, February 9, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Did You Ever Have A Family


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

In looking through my books, I've put aside several novels that I want to read this year. One of them is Did You Ever Have A Family by Bill Clegg (2015).

The opening:

"Silas

He wakes to the sound of sirens. Many, loud, and very near. Then horns: short, angry grunts like the buzzers signaling time-out in the basketball games he watches but does not play in at school. His cell phone says 6:11 a.m., but the house downstairs is awake and loud and from the particular pitch of his mother's rough morning voice, scratching above his father's and sisters', he knows something is wrong."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



11 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I loved this book! Hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd keep reading. This one has been on my list and my Kindle for a while. Maybe one day soon. Maybe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't sound like my kind of book. Here's mine for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would...and I did. I read this one a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you do, too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with this one, but the opening you shared has caught my interest. Sounds like an emergency of some sort. I want to know what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one was SOOO good! Was in my top 3 for 2015! And the first paragraph doesn't nearly do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to read this one which has been on my radar for a while - a great opening too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great opening. I like the way the author jumps right in, lets us know the character is school age, and reveals that something about the character's life is about to change. I'd keep reading to find out more.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you like this book as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first paragraph is crying for me to keep reading. It's actually on my to-read list as so many people have loved it. I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete