Tuesday, March 22, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Little Face by Sophie Hannah


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea where bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or planning to read soon.

A book sale find, Sophie Hannah's book Little Face is one I've had for awhile. I picked the novel up this past weekend to take a look. Hannah's writing grabbed me, and I haven't been able to put the book down.

The opening:

"Friday, September 26, 2003

I am outside. Not far from the front door, not yet, but I am out and I am alone. When I woke up this morning I didn't think today would be the day. It didn't feel right, or rather, I didn't. Vivienne's phone call persuaded me. 'Believe me, you'll never be ready,' she said. 'You have to take the plunge.' And she's right, I do, I have to do this.'"

From the back cover:

"When Alice Fancourt leaves her infant daughter home with her husband David for the first time since becoming a new mother, she returns to a horrifying sight: her daughter, Florence, has been swapped with another baby. In hysterics, Alice rushes to call the police but soon discovers that no one--not even David believes her. When the police are called in, Detective Simon Waterhouse is drawn to the lovely Alice but also doubts her story while his boss Charlotte "Charlie" Zailer thinks the whole case is a waste of time. But one week later, both Alice and the baby have disappeared . . ."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

8 comments:

  1. Based on the snippets, I can understand how you can't put the book down. I'm putting this one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to give this author a try for awhile now. She's come highly recommended, and this one does sound good. I was immediately pulled in by the opening you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was the first book I read from this author, and I was hooked. I've read and loved several of them, but this first one stands out in my mind, evoking all those feelings one might have to lose a child...and not be believed.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “SOMEWHERE OUT THERE”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this beginning and I actually own this book and several others by Sophie Hannah. Keep meaning to read them. Will look forward to hearing what you think, but I can certainly understand why you kept reading. I want to keep reading and need to see if this is one on my Kindle or if I own a paper copy. Thanks, Monica!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge Sophie Hannah fan although some of the books in this series are a little weird - I loved this and have a copy sitting on my bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author before but this makes me want to. Keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - I'm hooked from the intro and the blurb about the book makes me want to read it even more. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, not even her husband believes her. A mother knows her baby. Doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete