Tuesday, March 29, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Stones for Ibarra by Harriet Doerr



Today I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, in which bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or planning to read soon.

On my reading horizon is a book I've had for several years--Stones for Ibarra by Harriet Doerr.

The opening:

"1
The Evertons
Out of Their Minds

Here they are, two North Americans, a man and a woman just over and just under forty, come to spend their lives in Mexico and already lost as they travel cross-country over the central plateau. The driver of the station wagon is Richard Everton, a blue-eyed, black-haired stubborn man who will die thirty years sooner than he now imagines. On the seat beside him is his wife, Sara, who imagines neither his death nor her own, imminent or remote as they may be. Instead she sees, in one of its previous incarnations, the adobe house where they intend to sleep tonight. It is a mile and a half high on the outskirts of Ibarra, a declining village of one thousand souls. Tunneled into the mountain whose shadow falls on the house an hour before sunset is the copper mine Richard's grandfather abandoned fifty years ago during the Revolution of 1910."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


8 comments:

  1. I'm definitely intrigued by the history of the place and I want to know what is going to happen but I suspect the tense this is written in would take some getting used too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really my kind of book but I hope you enjoy it
    Here is my review
    http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2016/03/review-off-campus-by-jeff-westwood-and.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious about why they are headed to this remote place, and what secrets they are hiding. Here's mine: “MOST WANTED”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like books set in remote places although this isn't my normal type of read - I do hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of this one, but have never been inclined to pick it up. However, hoping you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I'm going to be curious to read your thoughts. This one sat on my shelf for years unread and recently I donated it:( (unread)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really would like to read this one. I owned this book once upon a time. Would like to read about the location, Mexico. The situation about their life spans is very interesting. He dies "thirty years earlier?" How? Why? Have never read about a couple traveling together, I don't think. Really, really liking this book.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoy this! The intro doesn't grab my attention right off. I'll be participating next week!

    ReplyDelete