Tuesday, March 8, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons


Happy Tuesday! Today I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit of what they're reading or planning to read soon.

In reading, I've been making my way through Possession by A.S. Byatt where the first half was starting to feel like a chore. I was close to giving up on the book. Something happened, and I've really been enjoying the second half. Also, I've completed Willa Cather's first novel, Alexander's Bridge and will be talking about that novel soon on the blog. 

I've been looking for something light and have chosen a recent acquisition, Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (1932).

The opening:

"The education bestowed on Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic and prolonged; and when they died within a few weeks of one another during the annual epidemic of the influenza or Spanish Plague which occurred in her twentieth year, she was discovered to possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living.

Her father had always been spoken of as a wealthy man, but on his death his executors were disconcerted to find him a poor one. After death duties had been paid and the demands of creditors satisfied, his child was left with an income of one hundred pounds a year, and no property."

From the back cover:

"In 1930s London the spirited, expensively educated socialite Flora Poste is suddenly orphaned. She decides to descend on her country relatives, the deliciously eccentric Starkadders of Cold Comfort Farm. There are plenty of them: Judith, shrouded in guilt-ridden grief; Amos, called by God; Seth, a young man smoldering with sex; Reuben, eager to step into dead men's shoes; and the waif-like, wispy, ethereal Elfine. Looming over them all is Great Aunt Ada Doom, the batty family matriarch who saw something nasty in the woodshed (or was it the cow shed . . . or the bicycle shed?). In this boisterous and witty tale Stella Gibbons chronicles Flora's endearing, hilarious attempts to bring order to this chaos."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


12 comments:

  1. Wow! The descriptions of those relatives are priceless...finding out more about them would be a draw for me. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    And I hope you try Joyce Maynard...you'll become a fan, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting descriptions! I'm not sure it's for me as I tend to read contemporary fiction, but I hope you enjoy it, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! This sounds like the antidote to my sorrow over the end of Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is such good fun, mocking the writing styles of several popular authors such a D.H. Lawrence and others. Downton it ain't!
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a variety you've had this week and Cold Comfort Farm is one of those books I've always meant to read as it sounds like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard about this book and it's one I've been meaning to read for a long time. Maybe this is just the push I need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...probably not for me, although I have heard good things about the book. That being said, I'm pretty much giving up on trying for 'classics'. Although never say never right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this one, but I like the intro. Very descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hooked. I especially love that part about Flora having every grace and art "save that of earning her own living." That made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not familiar with this one but I do like the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!! That cover is HILARIOUS!! This sure looks like it will be full of great humor, especially with those eccentric relatives. Never heard of it before, but, now that I have, I'm adding it to my TBR! Thanks for sharing!

    Also, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my own Tuesday Intros post!! :)

    ReplyDelete