Tuesday, April 5, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Behind Closed Doors


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about a book they're reading or planning to read soon.

I've enjoyed several of  Elizabeth Haynes books, and I'm looking forward to starting Behind Closed Doors (2015).

From the back cover:

"Ten years ago, fifteen-year-old Scarlett Rainsford vanished while on a family in holiday in Greece. Was she abducted or did she run away from her severely dysfunctional family? Lou Smith worked the case as a police constable, and failing to find Scarlett has been one of the biggest regrets of her career. No one is more shocked than Lou to learn that Scarlett has unexpectedly been found during a Special Branch raid of a brothel in Briarstone.

Lou and her Major Crime team are already stretched working two troubling cases: nineteen-year-old Ian Palmer was found badly beaten; soon after, bar owner Carl McVey was found half-buried in the woods, his Rolex and money gone. While Lou tries to establish the links between the two cases, DS Sam Hollands works with Special Branch to question Scarlett. What happened to her? Where has she been until now? How did she end up back here? And why is her family--with the exception in of her emotionally fragile older sister, Juliette--less than enthusiastic about her return?"

The opening:

"SCARLETT--Rhodes, Saturday
23 August 2003, 04:44

To begin with, nothing was certain except her own terror."

Would you keep reading?


12 comments:

  1. This is a new author to me. Sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soundings like it might be a chilling read LOL - I'd keep going based on overview and intro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one! Such a dark book, but so good. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this book so yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book....and a few others by this author. Each of her books grab me and won't let go until the very end. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “FRICTION”


    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a scary book. I'd keep reading to find out what's causing her terror. Sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my kind of book. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes - I'd definitely keep reading. I've heard Elizabeth Haynes speak at the Brighton's Dark and Stormy Festival in 2014 and have read her cracking novel Revenge of the Tide, so I know she's a really good writer:).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a favorite Elizabeth Haynes book? I know she's written quite a few and wondered which one you like best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book I read by Elizabeth Haynes is my favorite--Into the Darkest Corner. Could not put it down!

      Delete
  10. Well, this looks very intriguing, but it's also a tad too scary for me. I'd keep reading, though, if I were you. You're obviously going to enjoy finding out the why's and wherefore's of it all!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my own Tuesday Intros post!! :)

    ReplyDelete