Tuesday, June 28, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Secret Life of Bees


Happy Tuesday to you! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read.

Life has slowed down a bit, and I've been able to get back to reading. Over the weekend, I finished View of the Harbour by British novelist Elizabeth Taylor (1947). It's a great novel, but then I've loved everything that I've read by Taylor.

My next selection is a novel that has been on my bookshelf for years--The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (2002).

The opening:

"At night I would lie in bed and watch the show, how bees squeezed through the cracks of my bedroom wall and flew circles around the room, making that propeller sound, a high-pitched zzzzzzz that hummed along my skin. I watched their wings shining like bits of chrome in the dark and felt the longing build in my chest. The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower, just flying for the feel of the wind, split my heart down its seam."

From the back cover:

"Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted African American "stand-in-mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina--a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of African American beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna. This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

12 comments:

  1. I loved this book, and hope you enjoy it. The movie isn't bad either, as it stays very close to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees and hope you will too! I would like to re-read it one day. I am glad life has slowed down a bit for you. Take care and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book. HOpe you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great book - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book...and the movie, too. Enjoy!

    Here's mine, which also has bees in it: “FLIGHT PATTERNS”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Monica. I liked this book a lot when I read it about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this but haven't started it yet. I really need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many people have tried to get me to read this book but for some reason I've never really wanted to. But I hear a lot of good things about it. The one by Kidd that I do want to read is The Invention of Wings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book. Definitely keep reading. I might have to read it again! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is on my to read list too. I should see if my digital library has an audio version. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book. I hope you enjoy it just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I also have this on my shelf. I cannot remember, but I also want to read it. I saw bits and pieces of the film several years ago and enjoyed it. I will be reading it one day. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete