Tuesday, July 19, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: A Suspension of Mercy


Happy Tuesday to you! I'm participating in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, in which bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon. 

A book on my reading horizon is A Suspension of Mercy by Patricia Highsmith. 

From the back cover:

"Sydney Bartleby has, compulsively, repeatedly, plotted methods and forged alibis. He's a thriller writer, after all. He even knows how he would dispose of her body. When Alicia goes missing, Bartleby struggles to convince anybody of his innocence, caught in a trap of his own making . . ."

The opening:

"The land around Sydney and Alicia Bartleby's two-storey cottage was flat, like most Suffolk country. A road, two-laned and paved, went by the house at a distance of twenty yards. To one side of the front walk, which was of slightly askew flagstones, five young elms gave some privacy, and on the other side a tall, bushy hedge provided a better screen for thirty feet. For this reason, Sydney had never trimmed it. The front lawn was as untended as the hedge. The grass grew in tufts, and where it didn't, fairy rings had eaten circles exposing green-brown earth. The Bartlebys took better care of the ground behind the house, and they had besides a vegetable and flower garden an ornamental pond some five feet across that Sydney had made with a cemented pile of interesting stones in its centre, but they had never succeeded in keeping goldfish alive in it, and two frogs they had put there had decided to go somewhere else."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


8 comments:

  1. Interesting opening -- I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely curious now! Love the descriptive opener that made me visualize that setting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “HERE’S TO US”

    ReplyDelete
  4. My curiosity is piqued. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a Patricia Highsmith fan so I would keep reading. That first paragraph is so descriptive. Love her writing! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes I would definitely keep reading - I haven't read as much of this author as I should and that opening is a great scene-setter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would keep reading...in fact, I'm wondering if my library has a copy of this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how descriptive the opening is, I'd read more.

    ReplyDelete