Tuesday, August 16, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Way Back Home by Freya North


Happy Tuesday! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon.

The Way Back Home by Freya North (2015) caught my eye a few months ago, and I bought the book with summer reading in mind.

From the back cover:

"Born and brought up in an artists' commune in Debyshire, Oriana Taylor had freedom at her fingertips in a house full of extraordinary people. 

Malachy and Jed, two brothers, shared their childhood and teenage years with Oriana. In the rambling old mansion and tangled grounds, their dreams and desires took wing unchecked.

But too much freedom comes at a price. Something happened the summer they were fifteen. And now, almost twenty years later, Oriana is back."

This is their story."

The opening:

"When I was . . .

When I was born there were already other children at Windward. None was beyond toddling age and, as such, we were grouped together pretty much like the clumps of perennials in the garden, or the globs of paint on a palette in one of the studios, or the music which drifted from the top rooms--discordant notes that, as a whole, wove together into a quirky harmony of sorts. We were who we were, the children of Windward--a little ragtaggle tribe further defining the ethos and eccentricity of the place."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?


8 comments:

  1. I've read something by this author years ago. I only recall that the book had a gorgeous cover:) I'd read more based on this intro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting good vibe from this one, so I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd read more, the writing grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the excerpt and the cover, so I'm in! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “LEAVE ME”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this author and the opening piqued my interest. I would definitely keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good; I'd keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely keep going -- at least for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it could be quite good with an interesting cast of characters. I hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete