Tuesday, January 10, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Swing Time by Zadie Smith


Happy New Year! Today, I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, in which bloggers share the first paragraph of a book they're reading or thinking of reading soon.

Swing Time by Zadie Smith (2015) was a Christmas present and a book that I'm planning to read soon.

First paragraph of the Prologue:

"It was the first day of my humiliation. Put on a plane, sent back home, to England, set up with a temporary rental in St. John's Wood. The flat was on the eighth floor, the windows looked over the cricket ground. It had been chosen, I think, because of the doorman, who blocked all inquiries. I stayed indoors. The phone on the kitchen wall rang and rang, but I was warned not to answer it and to keep my own phone switched off. I watched the cricket being  played, a game I don't understand, it offered no real distraction, but still it was better than looking at the interior of the that apartment, a luxury condo, in which everything had been designed to be perfectly neutral, with all significant corners rounded, like an iPhone. When the cricket finished I stared at the sleek coffee machine embedded in the wall, and at two photos of the Buddha--one a brass Buddha, the other wood--and at a photo of an elephant kneeling next to a little Indian boy, who was also kneeling. The rooms were tasteful and gray, linked by a pristine hallway of tan wool cord. I stared at the ridges in the cord."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

7 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued as to what her (?) situation is. Very ambiguous about that. I'd keep reading. Here's the link to my intro and teaser: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1rl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...well, I don't understand cricket either. Yes, I'd keep reading to find out what's going on and why she has to stay in the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to know why she was sent back home! I've not read anything by Zadie Smith but she's on my list for one day. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering why this character has been sent back to England, and I'd keep reading to find out. The description of the bland apartment is great.
    My Tuesday post features MOONRISE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this intro a lot and wonder why she's back in England. Thanks for jining us Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you've made me want to read this book even more! :)

    ReplyDelete