Tuesday, January 17, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: This Sweet Sickness


Happy Tuesday to you! I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, in which bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or planning to read soon. 

Over the weekend, I picked up This Sweet Sickness by Patricia Highsmith and found this psychological thriller hard to put down.

From the back cover:

"David Kelsey has an unswerving conviction that life is going to work out exactly as he planned it. He just needs to fix 'the Situation': his one true love, Annabelle, is married to another man. Under an alias, David sets up a dream home for the two of them in a nearby town. Even though she is pregnant with her husband's child, Annabelle will take him back, of that he is certain. David will win her over--whatever it takes."

The opening:

"It was jealousy that kept David from sleeping, drove him from a tousled bed out of the dark and silent boardinghouse to walk the streets.

He had so long lived with his jealousy, however, that the usual images and words, with their direct and obvious impact on the heart, no longer came to the surface of his mind. It was now just the Situation. The Situation was the way it was and had been for nearly two years No use bothering with the details. The Situation was like a rock, say a five-pound rock, that he carried around around in his chest day and night. The evenings and the nights, when he wasn't working, were a little bit worse than the daytime, that was all."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Patricia Highsmith - psychological thriller writer extraordinaire. She writes some 'interesting' characters. Maybe a little scary, but quite, quite good. I've not heard of this one, but could imagine how the story might go. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds excellent! As much as I love mysteries and crime fiction I can't believe I still haven't read any books by Highsmith. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, he sounds like quite the sociopath; I'm hooked LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good one and I love the author!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to hear about book that can't be put down! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes! I have only read one book by this author, so far, but I loved it! The Price of Salt, (Carol).

    Thanks for sharing, and I'm going to check it out!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete