Tuesday, April 4, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: An Experiment in Love


Happy Tuesday and Happy April to you! I hope your reading is going well. Today, I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or about to read.

An Experiment in Love is a novel I've been reading, and it's the first novel I've read by Hilary Mantel. It's turned out to be complex, witty, tragic, and so much more than I thought it would be.

From the back cover:

"It was the year after Chappaquiddick, and all spring Carmel McBain had watery dreams about the disaster. Now she, Karina, and Julianne are escaping the dreary English countryside for a London University hall of residence. Interspersing accounts of her life as a university student with recollections of her childhood and a difficult relationship with her longtime schoolmate Karina, Carmel reflects on a generation of girls desiring the power of men, yet fearful of abandoning what is expected and proper. But in late-1960s London, they are confronted with a slew of new preoccupations--sex, politics, food and fertility--and a pointless, grotesque tragedy of their own."

The opening:

"This morning in the newspaper I saw a picture of Julia. She was standing on the threshold of her house in Highgate, where she receives her patients: a tall woman, wrapped in some kind of Indian shawl. There was a blur where her face should be, and yet I noted the confident set of her arms, and I could imagine her expression: professionally watchful, maternal, with that broad cold smile which I have known since I was eleven years old. In the foreground, a skeletal teenaged child tottered towards her, from a limousine parked at the kerb: Miss Linzi Simon, well-loved family entertainer and junior megastar, victim of the Slimmer's Disease."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?



6 comments:

  1. I never read this author, but the book has my interest. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting time period! I would keep reading. I have read a couple of Mantel's books and really enjoyed them. Her books are always so varied. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary Mantel is one of my favourite authors. This book is one I haven't read, so yes I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know if I had the book to hand I would soon be turning the pages - that opening is seemingly so benign and yet it tells us a lot about the characters that presumably we will meet - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this author, but I'm intrigued by the excerpts and the blurb. Oddly enough, I just watched the first episode in a miniseries starting last night called The Kennedys: After Camelot, and Chappaquiddick was a part of the first episode.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting opening, I do like this author but never read this one. enjoy Monica

    ReplyDelete