Tuesday, April 11, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: The Last September


Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm taking part in First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea, where bloggers share a bit about what they're reading or about to read soon.

In my mountainous TBR pile, there are several novels by Elizabeth Bowen, and I'm looking forward to reading The Last September (originally published in 1929).

From the back cover:

"The ambushes and burnings of the Irish Troubles of 1920 seem far removed as up at the 'Great House' tennis parties and dances continue to divert, and flirtations with English officers from the local garrison amuse. Yet a sense of brooding, nostalgic melancholy pervades--the sense of a tragedy coming to its climax in the calm, opulent sunlight of an Irish autumn."

The opening:

"About six o'clock the sound of a motor, collected out of the wide country and narrowed under the trees of the avenue, brought the household out in excitement on to the steps. Up among the beeches, a thin iron gate twanged; the car slid out from a net of shadow, down the slope to the house. Behind the flashing windscreen Mr. and Mrs. Montmorency produced--arms waving and a wild escape to the wind of her mauve motor-veil--an agitation of greeting. They were long-promised visitors. They exclaimed, Sir Richard and Lady Naylor exclaimed and signalled: no one spoke yet. It was a moment of happiness, of perfection."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?




8 comments:

  1. Lovely is the first word that comes to mind while reading that first paragraph. The writing is so beautiful too. And then there's the cover. Yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another interesting historical novel that teaches us so much about the past, in novel form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover and the setting. I'm going to see if my library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the writing and images that intro creates. I'd read more. Hope u enjoy it Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the sound of this one, and the era. Great cover, too. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good, but I had to look twice at the title. The Persephone Classic edition of Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey has the same image on the cover! I read that one for a Classics Club Spin a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't hook me right away, but did like the writing so I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your opening, Monica. I love the writing, and this one sounds like a winner. I hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete